My Home's Top 10's
I know everyone has read, watched, & is probably a little tired of hearing about the coronavirus. So here's another post about it! :) My blog post will be about my Top 10 Things to do at home when you have free time or if you are in your home because of the certain virus. Half of my family is introverts anyways so we do this everyday anyways; we cannot speak for the extroverts. You don't have to do any of these things- I just like to share my experiences & what I like to do! Please don't hesitate to share yours as well!! :)
1. Writing- of course. However I like to write things that don't happen to be about my book series. It's nice to write just short little one-two page stories. My eldest daughter got me this rocking awesome book for my birthday a couple years ago, it's supposed to help with writer's block or to give you ideas. It gives you a sentence & makes you finish it on a page. I super reccomend this- even if you aren't feeling creative.
2. Reading- which is just a natural as writing. My eldest has LOVED having this time to catch up on her reading. She's currently reading Good Omens & I'm reading a Richard Paul Evans book. My youngest reads her WW2 books on & off because she's building her awesome minecraft world. It's good to just sit back from Netflix & read a good book; even if it isn't mine ;)
3. Netflix, Hulu, Disney, Cable, YouTube- All the goods. Catch up on your TV or movie watch list. I'm pretty sure my husband & I have watched just about every crime or unsolved crime movie out there by now. My son loves to watch anime so he's been watching some long series. My daughters have been going back & watching old Disney movies or just rewatching their favorites. My eldest also has the weirdest fascination with planes. She's watching an entire series called "Mayday" on Amazon Video & now freaks out whenever we fly ->
4. Cleaning like the dickens. My CHILDREN hate this- I like it. I like the satisfying feeling of seeing my kitchen clean (although $10 says it isn't right now since we went grocery shopping last night). I like knowing where things are & having the house smelling good. If you're looking for something to do while this virus is going on & you need to stay inside- clean & organize a space you've been trying to- I reccomend starting with the linen closet.
5. Start playing that game. Now, my family is all a bunch of nerds, I'll be the first to admit it. We all play different games. My daughters & I LOVE PC games. My daughters & I play Sims, Zoo Tycoon, Sim City. My eldest daughter, husband, & I play World of Warcraft. My son & youngest daughter play Minecraft like it's the end of the world. My husband & son also like to play games on the VR & Playstation. Luckily all these systems are in different rooms so no one is fighing with each other. Also, beacuse of the virus, a lot of deals are on games right now so if you don't own them & want to play- they'll be cheap! Also don't knock board games. You can play D&D for hours & lose track of your whole week. You can start playing that game you've been putting off- you've got plenty of time now.
6. Spend quality time with your pets (or kids I guess). So most of you know, my children
are older & are trying to venture out into the world. I try to spend as much time with them as I can. Whether it's playing Jumanji (the board game) or watching an old childhood movie, I do like spending time with my kids. I also do try to give them their space- mainly because I also want my own space ;) HOWEVER, let me tell you- it's been awesome being home with our pets on the daily. Our old man, Darth Vader has been milking us staying home. He's been on everyone's laps & meowing at us to pet & love him at all hours. It's been awesome spending time with the old fart everyday. So now's a good time to just love you pets & your family.
7. Re-Connect. I'll admit I'm not very good at this one. Social media is bad at a few things but its also good for a few things. It offers up the chance to connect with people you might have not talked to in a while. When I have the time, I like to re-connect with family members, friends, or even old co-workers. It's a good idea just to send a message to someone you know, even if they don't respond. Connecting with people makes the world go round. 🌎🌍🌏
8. Alone time. I know I just talked about spending time with family. It's also beneficial to spend time alone. Go take a nap! Take a nice long bath & just soak into the bubbles. Look at old photo albums & reminisce. Just take some time for yourself. Treat yourself & get to know yourself. My daughters like to spend alone time by doing fun face masks in their robes & playing yoga music while just relaxing. Do whatever makes yourself happy.
9. Catch up on any work. Whether it's fixing stuff around the house or catching up on actual school work- it's also good to do when you have downtown (even though it isn't very fun). A lot of places now-a-days are doing work from home so I guess a lot of us actually have to do this anyways. My husband has been a real good egg about catching up on some of the housework. He cleaned our garage completely & is currently fixing the wall in my office. My eldest daughter has been working from home for her internship. Sometimes it's good to just catch up or get ahead on work.
10. Make some art. There is no right way to make art. So take some time, go paint, spray paint, draw, color, take a picture, make a video, animate, sew, knit, cook, weave, etc. - whatever art you would like to do. It's been proven it's good for your squishy brain! "It has an impact on brain wave patterns and emotions, the nervous system, and can actually raise serotonin levels. Research has proven the arts develop neural systems that produce a broad spectrum of benefits ranging from fine motor skills to creativity and improved emotional balance." (https://www.healing-power-of-art.org/art-and-the-brain/). So I tell my kids all the time, even if you think you're not good at it; make it anyways. I firmly believe there is an artist in everyone!
That's 10 things I like to do when I'm home & when I have free time (which we seem to have a lot of due to the virus). I cannot speak for everyone but that is what my family does. Please feel free to share what you, your family, & pets favorite things to do when you all are home! Also share your art- even if you don't like it! Be safe out there, keep yourself sane & healthy, & don't forget "this too shall pass".